♦ [RED.ZONE.PERFECTION] ♦
__________The Future of Dynasty__________

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/31/2012 2:18 pm  #1

Adding roster spots

With the season now over I think it is as good a time as any to start discussing rule changes we'd like to see for next year.  So for our 1st discussion I'd like to propose the addition of 3 extra bench spots onto our roster, this will allow teams to actually hold developmental players so if you draft a rookie with a high pick this year you won't have to cut him if he isn't performing right away.

The answer to the question never asked is always NO.

12/31/2012 2:32 pm  #2

Re: Adding roster spots

How would you ensure that the bench spot is exclusively for the rookie?

And would we need to instigate a rule that every team must hold at least 2 rookies?

THE REAL CHAMP IS HERE

12/31/2012 2:37 pm  #3

It wasn't meant to be exclusively for rookies that was just an example of its use.  Where someone like David Wilson would be hard to sit on to the point he was cut in a league almost exactly the same as this, despite him being a consensus top 6 rookie pick last year.  You could the extra spot however you like.

The answer to the question never asked is always NO.

12/31/2012 2:45 pm  #4

I kind of like the idea, groom players like we would if we running real NFL franchises.

It would make next years' Draft more interesting to say the least.

"Many people ask me why I always sign off ''til we meet again'; because goodbye is always so final." ~ Marty Reid

"Don't give up. Don't ever give up." ~ Jim Valvano

12/31/2012 8:15 pm  #5

Given the way this league is structured and the fact that it's still only a keeper league and not dynasty I would rather not add any bench spots to "hold" rookies.  If you believe in them then make the spaces and keep them.  I kept David Wilson all year {and several other rookies for that matter}, if benches grow too big then the challenge is greatly diminished.  I have an alternate suggestion though for our league, how about we allow not one but 2 "reserve" slots and they can be used for any eligible player under NFL.com rules {that means PUP, IR, SUS, EXE and maybe one or two other designations},  it means more hands on roster managing, and yes someone could try to "park" a player in the reserve slot even after they are no longer eligible but if they do they can no longer make any roster moves or trades until they fix the issue.

So I say no on added bench spots and an increase in size and flexibility to the reserve spots.

12/31/2012 8:45 pm  #6

I held several rookies this year and waited for them to develop. Some did, some didn't. Personally, I have the feeling that the desire to add more roster spots comes from the sudden realization that an over-emphasis on this year led to some neglect regarding next year, but if people want to add two more spots, I will not object unless there is an effort to alter the draft by adding rounds prior to the first seven.

Lorikeets 2013 8-6 1st Place Division 4
Lorikeets 2012 6-8 3rd Place Division 4
Does it matter which lemming is the leader?

12/31/2012 11:02 pm  #7

not trying to be a smart ass but If changes have to be unanimous . This first one isn't. Well you get the point

1/02/2013 10:25 am  #8

As to what I think about the extra bench slots, I am unsure and will be interested to see any further discussion.  BUT, regarding Dredd's proposition of adding another RESERVE slot for players with additional tags (ie, SUS, PUP, etc.), I think I'm all for it.

1/02/2013 8:38 pm  #9

To me the roster size is more than enough...

I would like to propose the following rules:

- eliminate the negative points for sacks to a QB
- eliminate the +3 points for recovered fumbles to offensive players (I.e. QB fumbles but recovers the fumble then he is assigned +3 points for the play). Unfortunately this point adjustment will have to be done manually.

Yo solo se que no se nada

1/02/2013 9:44 pm  #10

I agree with the fumble thing , but someone may not.

Board footera